Spike is a Brawler with a unique attack pattern that can quickly take out either single or groups of enemies. His attacks can be used to burst down targets, force the enemy team to abandon their formation, or to wipe out the entire team at the critical moments of an Event. Despite these pros, Spike is extremely susceptible to being ambushed due to his low health and effectiveness at low and medium range.
- High Damage Output – Each spike from Spike’s Needle Grenade does 480 damage at level 1, multiple able to strike enemies. This lets Spike effortlessly burst down even the tankiest Brawlers in the game.
- Excellent Crowd Control – Spike’s Stick Around is one of the best sources of crowd control in the game. It is able to take out, cripple, or split up an enemy team to set them up for another teammate. Those caught within are easy pickings for follow up damage should Stick Around’s damage not take them out.
- Low Health – Spike is an extremely squishy Brawler, making dodging and positioning important in playing him. This is particularly troublesome on Spike, as Needle Grenade is most effective when attacking enemies from a short to medium range.
- Difficult Attack to Master – The needles from Needle Grenade spread out in six directions after detonating. This can be rather hard to aim, especially when attacking from a long distance.
General Attack Strategy
|Needle Grenade||Spike fires off a small cactus that explodes, shooting spikes in different directions.|
- While Needle Grenade is extremely effective against both single and multiple targets, you’ll get the best results when attacking from mid to short range. Opponents caught right next to Needle Grenade’s explosion are hit by at least 2 needles most of the time.
- Needle Grenade shoots out 6 spikes in star shape. Keep the pattern in mind when trying to pick off enemies from afar.
- Careful aim will allow Spike to take out enemies behind cover, making him very hard to hide from.
|Stick Around!||Spike lobs a thorny grenade. Enemies caught in the blast area take damage and are slowed down.|
- Stick Around is one of the most powerful Super Attacks in the game as it is capable of wiping out clumps of enemies caught in the attack. Any survivors could easily be finished off with Needle Grenade as Stick Around slows affected Brawlers.
Game Mode Strategies
Spike performs very well in Gem Grab, able to easily deny the enemy team access to the Gem Mine. Any team with Spike also has the potential to steal the game in a flash. Enemies are easy targets for Stick Around should they clump together while trying to run down the clock.
- Solo – Spike can easily dominate Showdown by interrupting fights and dishing out damage. Of course, he needs to be wary of close range Brawlers lurking in bushes as they can make short work of him with their burst damage.
- Duo – Spike works well with a partner, able to provide some cover against ganking teams with Stick Around. Again, Spike needs to worry about getting ganked himself and should be on guard when approaching bushes around the map.
Spike shines as one of the best Brawlers to burst down the enemy team’s safe if he manages to safely get to it during the match. As with most team games, Spike’s team will have the advantage of forcing their opponents to split up and not get caught in the AoE explosions of his attacks. This makes it tricky for the enemy team to sync their damage to win fights across the map.
Bounty allows Spike to make the most out of his attacks by being able to burst down grouped enemies. He does need to be careful of wandering carelessly near bushes to avoid getting ganked. Spike’s low health can make him an attractive target to enemies.
Stick Around slows enemies and thereby denies them much-needed mobility to get possession of the ball and score in Brawl Ball. In addition, Brawlers tend to flock around the ball, allowing Spike to hit multiple with single volleys of Spike Grenade.
Big Game is another Event where Spike does well, particularly as a non-Boss Brawler. Anything that can slow down the Boss Brawler is a big advantage for the team. His Needle Grenade is also excellent for taking out the Boss since he can land multiple needles into the boss’s large hitbox.
Spike performs well in Robo Rumble. While Spike can easily wipe out mobs of enemies by himself, he suffers from poor mobility and will easily fall if swarmed by the speedy mini robos or rapid-punching boxer robos. Spike Grenade is great for taking enemies out, especially boss robos, and Stick Around can be good in keeping them back and away from the safe.
Brawl Stars Recommended Article List
- Learn to play in our Beginner's Guide!
- Read strategy on any Brawler in the game!
- Find out the best Brawlers in our Tier Lists!
- Check out how to obtain Star Tokens!
- View the game's latest Patch Notes!