What is Friendship?
Friendship is a status that shows how much emotional attachment a Pokemon has to its Trainer. The happiness level cannot be seen in game as a numerical value, or is it visible in any form of data. Some players refer to it as a Pokemon’s “happiness”. Some Pokemon rely on thier happiness level and cannot evolve if it’ too low.
Confirming Your Pokemon’s Friendship
As stated above, although the status cannot be confirmed through numerical values in game, it is, however, possible to know through context clues given by NPCs.
Being told, “My! It feels incredibly close to you! Nothing makes it happier than being with you!” tells you that your Pokemon has attained max happiness.
While being told “Hmmm. I think…it feels friendly toward you. At least a little…”, shows that you and your Pokemon are making progress with your Pokemon’s happiness.
When being told, “What is going on here? Do you let it get knocked out a lot in battles or something? This is bad.”, it means that your Pokemon’s happiness level is low.
And finally, “Oh dear. You must be a merciless Trainer… Do you use Frustration or just not know better?”, means that your happiness level is at zero.
How to Raise Your Pokemon’s Friendship
- Walking with your Pokemon raises its happiness slighty.
- Catching Pokemon through a Friend Ball instantly increases its happiness to 200 or even more.
- Lomi Lomi Massages that can be found Konikoni City gives your Pokemon large boosts to its happiness. The happiness they receive through the massages give a lot more if your Pokemon has low friendship to begin with.
- EV Vitamins also boosts your Pokemon’s Happiness.
- Eating berries like Qualot, Tamato and Hondew also boosts your Pokemon’s Happiness.
Keep in mind, however, that your Pokemon’s happiness level decreases when your Pokemon faints in battle. So keep this in mind when you are trying to raise your Pokemon’s happiness and switch them out when they are nearing to faint.