Melemele Island Ilima’s Trial Walkthrough
Beginning a New Game
Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon’s game introduction plays when you start a New Game. You will be introduced to Professor Kukui and to the world of Pokemon. Start by customizing your character’s appearance and name. Afterwards, the game will begin in Hau’oli City on Melemele Island – your character’s home city.
Note: We are still in the process of updating information in this walkthrough. Check back regularly as we play the game.
- Hau’Oli City
- Getting your Hat and Backpack.
- Iki Town
- Mahalo Mountain Trail
- Getting the Sparkling Stone
- Iki Town (Revisited)
- Choosing your starter Pokemon
- Route 1
- Tutorial on catching Pokemon
- Iki Town (Revisited)
- Getting the Z-Ring
- Hau’Oli City
- Getting Rotom Pokedex and Island Amulet
- Trainer’s School
- Beachside Shopping Area
- Encounter with Trial Captain Ilima
- Route 2
- Verdant Cavern
- Totem Pokemon Battle (Gumshoos/Alolan Raticate)
- Getting Normalium Z-Crystal
- Beginning in your house, head to the living room and talk to Mom.
- Then, go back to your room and get a Hat and Backpack hanging in front of your bed.
- There will be a cutscene with Professor Kukui before the grassy area on Route 1. You will need to choose your starter Pokemon: Rowlet, Popplio or Litten. (Choosing your starter Pokemon)
- Go to Iki Town for a cutscene with Hau, your rival.
- When Hau challenges you to a Pokemon Battle, accept it. You won’t be able to progress through the story if you don’t battle him.
Trainer Battle: Hau
- Hau will use the starter Pokemon that is weak to what you chose. This makes him very easy to defeat during your first battle.
- Just continuously attack Hau’s Pokemon to win.
|Potion||Next to the tree on the slope||–|
|Paralyze Heal||The grass near the entrance of Iki Town||–|
|Potion||West of the route sign||–|
|Pokeball||East of Hau’oli Outskirts||–|
- Talk to Professor Kukui when you enter the town.
- Head to Mahalo Mountain Trail.
Mahalo Mountain Trail
- You will meet a girl named Lillie on the bridge.
- As you approach the bridge, you will encounter a Lv.4 Spearow.
- After the the encounter, you will get the Sparkling Stone.
|Sparkling Stone||After the event at the bridge||Gift|
- After the cutscene, return to Iki Town to get a Pokedex and Trainer’s Passport.
|Pokedex||After the event at the bridge||Gift|
|Trainer’s Passport||After the event at the bridge||Gift|
- After waking up the next day, leave the house and meet with Professor Kukui for a tutorial on how to catch Pokemon.
- You will get 10 Pokeballs and 5 Potions after the tutorial.
- Going towards Iki Town, you will see that the road on the left is blocked. From here, take the road on the right.
- You will encounter the Ultra Recon Squad when you reach Iki Town.
|10 Pokeballs||After the tutorial with Professor Kukui||Gift|
|5 Potions||After the tutorial with Professor Kukui||Gift|
|Pokeball||On the grass at the back of the house (right path)||–|
|Antidote||South of the route sign||–|
|Nugget||Smash the rocks on the corner of the northeast path south of Iki Town||Requires Ride Pager Tauros|
|Nest Ball||Farthest end of the west path south of Iki Town||Requires Ride Pager Tauros|
|Lass Audrey||Buneary||72 pokedollars|
|Youngster Jimmy||Caterpie||60 pokedollars|
|Preschooler Oliver||Alolan Rattata||36 pokedollars|
- When you enter the town again, you will meet Hala (the Melemele Island Kahuna). The town festival will also begin.
- You will battle Hau again as you proceed to the festival.
- You will get the Z-Ring from Hala after defeating Hau.
- Listen to information about the island tours from Hala.
Trainer Battle: Hau (Festival)
- Hau will have a Lv.6 Pichu. His starter Pokemon will be at Lv.8, but you will still have the advantage with your starter Pokemon.
- Hau’s Pichu will have Static that can paralyze you if you use Physical moves against it. You should also be careful of Pichu’s electric attacks which will do a lot of damage if you chose Rowlet.
|Z-Power Ring||After defeating Hau||Festival|
- Return home and talk to mom to get 30,000 Pokedollars. Then, leave the house again.
- Meet with Lillie and visit the Pokemon Research Lab to talk to Professor Kukui.
- There will be a cutscene as you approach the lab.
- Talk to Professor Kukui to get the Rotom Pokedex and Island Amulet. The Rotom Pokedex will display the next destination on your map.
- Afterwards, take the path on the left (from your house) for another cutscene with Lillie. Then, go to the Pokemon Center to heal and then to the Trainer’s School.
- You need to battle the four trainers at the Trainer’s School. You will get Exp. Share.
- Proceed to the Trainer’s School to begin challenging the four trainers.
Location of the four trainers
|Youth Athlete Hiromi||Outside the school building (on the right side)|
|Preschooler Mia||In a classroom (near the blackboard)|
|Youngster Joey||Enter the area from the red gate (in the south) / or northwest of the grass (to the left of the school)|
|Rising Star Joseph||At the schoolyard after defeating the three other trainers.|
- After defeating the trainers, you will get TM01 (Work Up) from Trainer 4.
- You will need to defeat the teacher on the second floor of the school next. You will get 5 Great Balls after you defeat her. A cutscene will occur. You can choose to touch the Tauros and stroke its head.
- Head to path going to Hau’oli City.
|Rotom Pokedex||From Professor Kukui||Pokemon Research Lab|
|Island Amulet||From Professor Kukui||Pokemon Research Lab|
|Exp. Share||From Professor Kukui||Trainer School grounds|
|Awakening||Back of the Pokemon Research Lab||–|
|Exp. Share||From Professor Kukui at the Trainer’s School||–|
|Quick Claw||Trainer’s School||–|
|Potion||Gift from a student at the end of the corridor on 2F||–|
|Potion||Near the school yard||–|
|3 Oran Berry||Gift from Preschooler Mia on 1F||–|
|Paralyze Heal||Area covered in grass on the west side of the school||–|
|Antidote||West side of the school, middle section of the grass-covered area||–|
|TM01 (Work Up)||Gift from Rising Star Joseph||–|
|5 Great Ball||Gift from Teacher Emily on 2F||–|
- When you reach the Alola Tourist Bureau, you will be given explanation on the Poke Finder.
- After the tutorial, leave the Alola Tourist Bureau and go in front of the boutique. Talk to Lillie to get a Lens Case. If your character is female, you will get a Makeup Bag.
- Go to the Pokemon Center and talk to Trial Captain Ilima. He will tell you about Totem Stickers. (You can check out our guide on all Totem Stickers locations here)
- Head to the Malasada Shop (south of the city) for a cutscene. You will need to defeat some Team Skull Grunts. Trial Captain Ilima will challenge you afterwards.
Trainer Battle: Trial Captain Ilima
- Trial Captain Ilima uses a Lv.10 Yungoos and Lv.11 Smeargle. Note that his Smeargle will use a move that your starter Pokemon is weak to, so use a different Pokemon that you’ve caught to against it. Make sure that the Pokemon is at level 10 or higher before challenging Ilima.
- Head to the Pokemon Center and heal your Pokemon. Then, Lillie will talk to you. You will get 3 Revives.
- As you make your way to Route 2, there will be a cutscene with Island Kahuna Hala. Interact with the Tauros there.
- Proceed along Route 2.
|Tentacool||Water||Requires Ride Pager Mantine|
|Finneon||Water||Requires Ride Pager Mantine|
|Lens Case or Makeup Bag||From Lillie in front of the apparel shop||–|
|3 Revives||Gift from Lillie at the Pokemon Center||–|
|TM49 (Echoed Voice)||Past the gate opposite the Alola Photo Club||–|
|Ether||Front yard of Ilima’s house||–|
|Revive||Past the gate opposite the Pokemon Center||–|
|Revive||City Hall||Near a Pyukumuku|
|Tiny Mushroom||Gate east of the City Hall||–|
- You will encounter a Makuhita in the rustling grass. A cutscene with an old man will occur.
- Go down the west slope to the beach. You will get a tutorial on Mantine Surf.
- As you leave the beach, you will be challenged by Team Skull. You will get Fresh Water afterwards.
- As you pass the Berry Fields, you will encounter the Ultra Recon Squad.
- As you reach the Pokemon Center, a cutscene will occur. You will meet Hau again and get 3 Revives. You will also get a tutorial about Roto Loto (you can check out our guide on Roto Loto here).
- Leave the Pokemon Center and head to the Verdant Cavern. Talk to Ilima when you get there.
|Fresh Water||After defeating the Team Skull grunts at the Big Wave Beach||–|
|White Herb||Big Wave Beach||–|
|Super Potion||South of the Pokemon Center||–|
|Revive||On the ledge east of the Pokemon Center||–|
|Super Potion||Northwest of the motel||–|
|Silver Powder||Berry field (beside the house on the right)||–|
|Star Piece||Behind the Hau’oli entrance rocks||Requires Ride Pager Tauros|
|Pokemon Breeder Jau||Rockruff||–|
Verdant Cavern (Ilima’s Trial)
- You’ll need to defeat three Pokemon hiding in the Verdant Cavern. The Pokemon that appear change depending on the version of the game you’re playing.
Pokemon Ultra Sun Pokemon Ultra Moon Yungoos (x2) Alolan Rattata (x2) Gumshoos Alolan Raticate
- Gumshoos or Alolan Raticate can be fought after examining the nests in the cave. You will also need to defeat some Team Skull grunts there. You will be able to reach the lair of either the Totem Gumshoos or Alolan Raticate afterwards.
- Touch the Z-Crystal on the pedestal to battle the Totem Pokemon.
- After defeating Totem Gumshoos or Alolan Raticate, talk to the Trial Guide at the far end of the cave to proceed to the next area.
Totem Pokemon Battle: Gumshoos or Alolan Raticate
Pokemon Ultra Sun: Lv.12 Gumshoos (calls Lv.10 Yungoos)
Pokemon Ultra Moon: Lv.12 Alolan Raticate (calls Lv.10 Alolan Rattata)
- At the start of the battle, the Totem Pokemon will have a special aura that boosts its stats by one level. You can counter this by using debuff moves, especially those that lower their defense.
- After defeating the Totem Pokemon, you will get the Normalium Z-Crystal and 10 Great Balls from Trial Captain Ilima.
- As you go out, you will encounter the Ultra Recon Squad again.
- Professor Kukui will appear and talk about Z-Moves.
- Proceed to Route 3 afterwards.
|Alolan Rattata||Verdant Cavern|
|Alolan Diglett||Verdant Cavern|
|Fresh Water||After defeating the Team Skull grunts at Big Wave Beach|
|White Herb||Big Wave Beach|
|Super Potion||Before the Pokemon Center|
|Super Potion||Verdant Cavern|
|TM 31 (Brick Break)||Verdant Cavern|
|Super Potion||Verdant Cavern|
|Normalium Z-Crystal||Verdant Cavern||After defeating the Totem Pokemon|
|10 Great Balls||Verdant Cavern||After defeating the Totem Pokemon|
|TM 46 (Thief)||Verdant Cavern||Must have access to Tauros Ride Pager to get the item|
|Next >> : Melemele Island Grand Trial Walkthrough|