|Number of Deathblow Markers||3|
|Reward||Memory: Genichiro Ashina, Bloodsmoke Ninjutsu|
Make sure Sekiro has learned the Mid-air Deflection Shinobi Art and the Lightning Reversal skill before fighting Genichiro. If you don’t have these skills, you won’t be able to deflect the powerful Lightning Slash attack.
You can get the Lightning Reversal skill after defeating Ashina Elite – Jinsuke Saze. Defeat him them read the wall scroll to the north of the room.
1st HP Bar
- Genichiro will always start with a long-range bow attack followed by a rolling strike. Parry the rolling strike.
- Your best chance for an opening is after he jumps and performs a perilous attack. Try to avoid his jumping attacks by dodging or by jumping yourself. Perform a Mikiri Counter when the red kanji appears. You will then have a chance to counter.
↑Jump attacks can be parried or avoided.
↑You can perform a back step if you can’t Mikiri Counter the attack.
- Genichiro may parry if you attack two or three more times. After parrying, he will slash at you, so do your best to dodge before he finishes the motion.
↑The sparks that appear will be larger than usual when the boss parries. Remember to press the L1 button to change to your left hand.
↑The timing for his attacks are easy to memorize. Practice memorizing his strikes and his posture will be easier to break by parrying.
- Genichiro will slash several times after swinging his sword to the side to charge. If you can parry these attacks, his posture gauge will fill completely. The timing can be difficult to master, though. He will continue slashing even after you parry the first three strikes.
↑His position when he prepares the rapid strikes.
↑Memorize the attack pattern and time your parries to fill up his posture gauge.
- If he shoots an arrow, it is best to block instead of trying to parry, since he may shoot several arrows.
2nd HP Bar
- His moves are the same as before, but the chances of him performing a jumping attack are much higher.
↑If he twists his torso to perform a sweeping attack, avoid it by jumping. Launch a counterattack afterward.
- It is possible for you to more quickly build Genichiro’s Posture gauge by parrying his attacks. However, if you attack two or three more times, he will parry you instead.
3rd HP Bar
- Most of his attacks can be avoided with a side dash. If he gets close, avoid his strikes by jumping. It is easy to counter most of his moves, outside of the Lightning Slash attack.
↑Avoid him before the lightning attack.
- Jump, parry, and counter-attack when Genichiro Ashina attacks with lightning. The boss will be stunned for a period if you succeed. If you fail, then Sekiro will be the one paralyzed.
↑Genichiro also has a lightning arrow attack. You can parry this by pressing L1 then R1.
↑Jump when Genichiro Ashina strikes.
↑A successful deflection!
- Don’t forget to get close after he gets hit by lightning. Attack continuously while he is paralyzed.
↑Your chance to get close while he is in shock.
- You need to deal two Deathblows to kill Genichiro Ashina.
|Moves for 1st and 2nd HP Bars|
|Genichiro thrusts his blade at Sekiro. The boss often performs this move after a jumping attack (1st HP Bar.)|
Low Sweeping Slash
|Twists his torso to perform a sweeping attack.|
|Genichiro uses this attack at close range. It can easily be avoided due to its narrow area of effect.|
|A grab attack that deals heavy damage.|
|Arrow||Genichiro shoots an arrow. Can be avoided using sidestep, but blocking is more effective.|
|Four Arrows||The boss jumps and shoots four arrows consecutively. Blocking is recommended.|
|Jump Slash||Genichiro jumps and strikes vertically when landing. It is often followed up by the perilous thrust attack.|
|Continuous Strikes||Genichiro swings his sword to his side to charge and performs several sword slashes afterward.|
|Moves for 3rd HP Bar|
|Another powerful grab move that deals heavy damage.|
|Genichiro thrusts his sword at Sekiro mid-air.|
|The boss charges his blade with lightning and slashes vertically. Has a wide range.|
|Genichiro imbues an arrow with lightning and shoots it at Sekiro.|
Other Boss Guides
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Recommended Article List
|Walkthroughs||Boss Guides||Useful Information|
|Beginner's Guide||Basic Information||Game Database|
|Characters||NPC List||Trophy List|