Isshin, the Sword Saint
|Number of Deathblow Markers||3|
|Reward||Memory: Saint Isshin, Dragon Flash Combat Art|
|Appearance||Ashina Reservoir – Secret Passage|
First HP Bar
- After defeating Genichiro Ashina one last time, Isshin Ashina will appear. As with Isshin, it is better to avoid most of his attacks and wait for openings.
- The first chance you have to attack is after he does the cross slash. Attack him once he finishes the move.
Get away when Isshin sheathes his blade. He may not be able to reach you if you are far away.
Attack Genichiro after this motion. Perform a sidestep before attacking.
- The second time you can attack is after he does his dangerous sword thrust.
Perform a Mikiri counter once the red kanji appears. You can strike him after countering.
- The third attack chance is after Isshin unleashes a shockwave from his blade. You can avoid it by sidestepping, then launch a counterattack.
If Isshin sheathes his sword and gathers wind, continue dashing sideways to avoid the wave that appears.
The moment you avoid the second wave is the perfect chance for you to attack.
Second HP Bar
- During the second HP Bar phase, Isshin will use a spear and gun alongside his sword. His attack range is significantly wider thanks to the spear. He also gains several new attacks.
His reach increases once he equips the spear. Getting close to him will be much more difficult.
- The first chance you’ll have to attack during this phase is after he performs a jumping attack. Sidestep to the left and attack once he is done with the move.
Some of his moves have relatively slow recovery times. However, his attacks are quite speedy, so finding an opening can be difficult. He may hit you at any vulnerable moment as a result. Memorize his moves and find the openings in each.
- The second chance for you to counter is after his dangerous spear thrust.
Perform a Mikiri Counter once the red kanji appears. You can strike one time after a successful counter.
After the counter, he may follow up with multiple strikes, try to avoid this and launch a counterattack once he is finished.
- Once he gathers wind for his spear, he will launch a much more powerful wave attack. Run away from him and avoid the wave.
It is dangerous to be near him once he gathers wind.
Stay away from him until he finishes the wave attack.
Third HP Bar
- Not only will there be random lightning strikes that can hit Sekiro during this phase, but Isshin will also use this force of nature to his advantage. Isshin now has, even more, moves from his arsenal, but new attacks also mean new ways to find openings. It is easier to deal with his lightning attacks since it can be deflected.
- The lightning slash is the biggest opportunity to launch a counterattack. Jump and parry the attack in mid-air to deflect it and paralyze Isshin for a short period of time.
Jump when you see this coming. Parry this attack in the air to deflect it.
Isshin will receive damage and will be in a state of Shock once you deflect it. This deals a bit more damage than your usual sword strikes. Continue deflecting his lightning attacks to deal heavy damage.
- Same with his move during the second phase, you have a chance to attack after you avoid the jumping slash. Avoid this by sidestepping to the left.
He often uses this move when you are far away. Step forward and sidestep to the left before it hits you.
Same as the previous phase, most of his attacks have a slow recovery. Be careful in landing hits as he may counter you after two or three strikes.
- He will still perform the dangerous spear thrust. Use Mikiri Counter once again and hit him one to two times.
Launch the Mikiri counter once the red symbol appears.
He may still attack after being countered, so be careful.
- Isshin will also do the wave attack again. The strategy is same as before: stay away from him until he finishes the attack.
Continue dashing sideways as he gathers wind in the air.
If you avoid the wave, you have a chance to attack if you are not too far away. However, it is best if you just avoid the attack rather than counter it.
|1st HP Bar|
|Isshin thrusts his blade toward Sekiro. Can be Mikiri countered.|
|Double Slash||The boss sheathes his blade and performs two quick slashes.|
|Wave Slash||The sword saint gathers wind for his blade. He then unleashes a stationary wave that can damage Sekiro. A few seconds after the first wave, Isshin unleashes another.|
|Slash||Isshin strikes at Sekiro several times. Can be blocked.|
|2nd HP Bar|
|Performs a sweeping attack. Excellent power and range.|
|The boss thrusts his spear at Sekiro. Can be countered by using Mikiri.|
|Jumping Slash||Jumps and performs a slash downwards. Can be counterattacked after dodging.|
|Gunshot||Isshin shoots Sekiro if he is far away. May use more than once.|
|Back Step Attack||Steps back and attacks.|
|Slash||Performs a few spear slashes.|
|3rd HP Bar|
|The sword saint jumps and catches lightning mid-air, unleashing it at Sekiro after it accumulates. Can be deflected.|
|Another thrust attack. Can be countered by Mikiri.|
|A sweeping attack that has excellent range and power.|
|Wave Slash||Isshin gathers wind and lets out a stationary wave. Avoid this attack, since it has a wide area of effect.|
Other Boss Guides
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Recommended Article List
|Walkthroughs||Boss Guides||Useful Information|
|Beginner's Guide||Basic Information||Game Database|
|Characters||NPC List||Trophy List|