Table of Contents
|▼ Hero Class Guides|
|List of Item Builds|
Chaugnar is a Support/Tank hero who specializes in slowing enemies in team fights and protecting his team mates from control effects. He deals out considerable amounts of damage with Energy Surge and Shockwave and can move in to pull allies out of dangerous situations with his Chaos Protection.
- Excellent in Team Fights – Chaugnar’s abilities make him a great hero in teams that specialize in team fights. All of his abilities have excellent utility, allowing him to slow and damage groups of enemies.
- Exceptional Ultimate Skill – Chaos Protection is a great tool for negating enemy control effects like stuns and slows. During team fights, it can be used to counter key enemy abilities and thereby put your team at a heavy advantage.
- Good Lane Pushing Power – Chaugnar is also adept at pushing the lanes with his abilities. Both Energy Surge and Shockwave allow the elephant to damage entire minion waves at once and thereby keep up map pressure wherever he goes.
- Relatively Squishy – Even if he’s listed as a tank, Chaugnar is more fragile than most without tanking items. As such, it is best to focus on purchasing his items as quickly as possible so that he can survive large engagements.
- Mana Thirsty – Most of Chaugnar’s abilities have high cooldowns and cost a lot of mana. This makes it important to hit as many opponents as possible when you cast each so that you don’t waste your resources.
- Low Single Target Damage – As strong as Chaugnar is when fighting alongside his teammates, he is fairly weak when it comes to throwing down against a single opponent. His AoE abilities won’t have much impact on singular foes, and as such, it is best to avoid duels when using Chaugnar.
Hero Basic Strategy
- Chaugnar should either assist the carry in the Abyssal Lane or roam the map to support his allies. He won’t be able to do much alone and so should avoid any solo positions.
- Use Energy Surge to damage multiple enemies and minions at once. Doing so will help you quickly push your lane. Hitting enemy heroes with Energy Surge gives you a chance to get close and tag them with Shockwave for moderate damage.
- Level up Energy Surge first to maximize your ability to push the lane and your utility during team fights. Follow this up by leveling Shockwave, since it serves as your main damaging ability.
- Level up and max Chaos Protection whenever possible. This is an invaluable ability which can be pivotal during team fights, removing any negative status conditions caused by enemy abilities.
- Solo Battle: Generally, if you’re playing Chaugnar, you don’t want to look for one on one battles. That said if you find yourself battling against an enemy alone, hit them with Energy Surge to slow them before following up with a hit from Shockwave. Chaos Protection will make you immune to control effects and allow Chaugnar to spam Shockwave, greatly increasing his damage potential. Just be sure not to waste the ability if your clash looks to turn into a team fight.
- Team Battle: Hit as many enemies as you can with Energy Surge to start things off. Next, head into the fray and hit nearby enemies with Shockwave. Continue to stick close to enemies and hit those nearby with your basic attacks, casting Shockwave whenever you can for additional damage. Use Chaos Protection when the opposing team disables your team’s carries or front liners to remove the debuffs. This will additionally let you use Shockwave very frequently and deal much more damage to nearby enemies.
- Escaping Team Fights: Start your escape by casting Chaos Protection to cleanse your team of unwanted debuffs. Next, cast Energy Surge on the pursuing enemies to slow them down and give your team more distance. Cast Energy Surge whenever you can as you escape to keep your movement speed high and control effects off of you.
|Void Cleanse – Every time Chaugnar uses Energy Surge, he calls upon chaos energy to remove all Control Effects, reduce damage taken by 10% and increase movement speed by 20% for 2 seconds.|
- This passive enables Chaugnar to get into the middle of team fights without danger of being stopped. Ideally, Chaugnar should be hitting as many enemies as possible with Energy Surge for maximum effect.
|Energy Surge – Chaugnar unleashes a wave of energy, dealing 375/450/525/600/675/750 (+0.65 AP)ˀ magic damage to enemies along the path and slowing their movement speed by 50% for 2 seconds.|
- Energy Surge is Chaugnar’s primary engaging ability. Hitting opponents with this ability slows them down and grants Chaugnar a short movement speed bonus, allowing him to set up for Shockwave.
- Try to hit as many enemies as you can with Energy Surge to make engaging easier for your allies.
- Energy Surge is also a useful ability for pushing lanes alongside Shockwave. If your team does not have any high priority objectives yet, use this to help your minions push the lane.
- Energy Surge may be used while Chaugnar is disabled in order to free him from the disable by means of Void Cleanse.
|Shockwave – Chaugnar trembles and deals 275/325/375/425/475/525 (+0.35 AP) magic damage to all nearby enemies. Damage increases by 30% with each cast and stacks up to 2 times. Also reduces cooldown of Energy Surge by 1 second.|
- This is your primary damage-dealing ability during team fights. Remember to stick close to the opposition and spam this ability as often as you can to maximize its damage.
- Shockwave is especially potent after you’ve cast Chaos Protection, since you’ll have a six second window to cast Shockwave without mana cost and at a lowered cooldown.
- Using Shockwave is also good with Energy Surge when pushing a lane with your minions.
|Chaos Protection – Chaugnar invokes the energies of chaos to remove all control effects from nearby allies, granting them immunity from further control effects and reducing the damage they take. This buff lasts 1 second for allies and 3 seconds for himself. This ability also reduces Shockwave’s cooldown and removes Shockwave’s mana cost for 6 seconds.|
- Chaos Protection allows Chaugnar to make game-changing plays during team fights. Casting this ultimate cancels out enemy abilities, and buffs allies who are inside its area.
- Offensively, Chaos Protection strengthens Chaugnar’s ability to spam Shockwave by shortening Shockwave’s cooldown and removing its mana cost for a short duration.
- The cooldown reduction provided stacks with any other sources of cooldown reduction that Chaugnar may have. At 40% CDR, Chaugnar’s ultimate brings Shockwave’s cooldown down to 0.6 seconds.
- Like Energy Surge, Chaos Protection may still be activated when Chaugnar is disabled.
How to Counter Chaugnar
- Chaugnar’s Energy Surge has quite a large area of effect. Keep a healthy distance from Chaugnar whenever possible.
- Chaugnar can cleanse himself of any disables thanks to his Void Cleanse passive. When engaging him, try to goad him into using his abilities first, then tag him with your disables. This way, he won’t be able utilize Void Cleanse and you’ll get a higher chance of killing him.
- During team fights, do not exhaust all of your crowd control abilities in one go – Chaugnar’s Chaos Protection can negate all of them and leave your team empty handed.
Orb of the Magi
Holy of Holies
- Chaugnar can run a standard mage arcana set that strengthens the damage from his abilities. This typically consists of Violate, Devour, and Hex, since these give him bonus ability power, cooldown reduction, and magic lifesteal.
- He can also use defensive arcana to increase his ability to soak damage for his team. A standard set would be Indomitable, Undying, and Crusader.
Chaugnar can do well against tanks, able to zone them out with Energy Surge and generally possessing more damage than most. In addition, Chaos Protection can deprive tanks of the crowd control abilities that they normally rely on for relevance.
With damage and durability at their side, Chaugnar will have a lot of trouble with warriors. Slow them with Energy Surge so that your allies can deal with warriors, sticking to assisting with damage from Shockwave rather than fighting directly.
Chaugnar’s large health pool should help him survive an assassin’s initial burst damage and his cleanses will keep him from getting trapped in whatever control abilities they have. It will generally be better for Chaugnar to take the brunt of an assassin’s damage than his allies, so bait them to yourself whenever possible.
Chaugnar does well against mages, thanks in large part to Chaos Protection. If timed correctly, his ultimate will nullify the control abilities of the opposing mage. In fact, during team fights, knowing when to use your ultimate is essential, as it often spells victory or defeat for your team.
When it comes to one on one fights, Chaugnar fares decently against mages as well since they are generally squishy. Keep in mind, though, that mages still pack a punch and can burst Chaugnar down if he is careless.
In the same vein as mages, Chaugnar does fairly well against marksmen, especially during team fights. Chaugnar’s priority targets are often the enemy’s backline, so he should always be looking to get close to the opposing marksman and use his Energy Surge + Shockwave combo on them as often as possible.
In one on one situations, Chaugnar’s effectiveness will rely on which core items he has farmed. He is often built to be a Support/Tank, and so will generally lack the offensive items to truly hurt a marksman.
Chaugnar has a great advantage over other supports in that he can ignore their control effects. As control effects are a large part of a support’s power, there will be very little than an enemy support can do to stop the stampeding elephant.
|▼ Hero Class Guides|
|List of Item Builds|
Arena of Valor (AoV) Recommended Article List
|▼ Popular Articles|
|Beginner's Guide||Hero Tier List|
|Hero Class Guide||Armory (Item List)|
|▼ Popular Articles|
|Beginner's Guide||Hero Tier List||Hero Class Guide||Armory (Item List)|