Table of Contents
|▼ Hero Class Guides|
|List of Item Builds|
Grakk is a Tank and Mage hero who specializes in grabbing single targets and dragging them into his team. Devil’s Chain is Grakk’s signature ability. He uses it to drag opponents towards his location to start team fights and disrupt the opposing team’s strategy. World Devourer is a large disable which can completely lock down enemy heroes for several seconds when used properly.
- Excellent Control – Grakk excels at grabbing enemies from afar, thanks to his Devil’s Chain. His other abilities, Earthquake and World Devourer, allow him to further lockdown any heroes that he hooks. World Devourer can additionally be used in team fights to suppress groups of enemies for a long period. To top all this off, enemies hit with Earthquake are silenced for 0.5 seconds, allow Grakk to leave enemies temporarily defenseless.
- Durable – Not only does Grakk have high natural defensive stats, he gains HP each time he is involved with a kill or assist thanks to Devil Chain’s passive.
- Fantastic Set Ups – Devil’s Chain almost guarantees a kill when Grakk is able to successfully snatch a squishy enemy. This is a great way to start off ganks or team fights, forcing the enemy to either engage in an unfavorable situation or give up a kill without retaliation.
- Channeled Ultimate – Grakk is susceptible to enemy control abilities while using World Devourer. Careful enemies can interrupt the ability and free their team up from his control.
- Difficult Skill Shot – While Devil’s Chain is Grakk’s main ability, players need to master aiming it in order to use it effectively. Oftentimes, hooking the right enemy hero makes the difference between winning or losing a crucial team fight. The chain is a bit slow, so players will have to properly lead the target, all while avoiding enemy minions.
- Low Damage – After setting up the fight with a hook, Grakk won’t have as much to offer the team as other heroes. Earthquake isn’t the strongest of abilities, offering meager damage along with its silence.
Hero Basic Strategy
- Laning Strategy
- Grakk is best suited to play as a roaming support, moving between lanes and setting up ganks for his team.
- Stick with the team after the game starts to shift into team fights.
- Avoid fights when alone, as it is very unlikely that Grakk will be able to win on his own.
- Leveling Progression
- Begin by leveling up Devil’s Chain. This is your primary ability to use against the opposing team. While Earthquake only improves in damage between levels, Devil’s Chain lowers in cooldown with each rank taken.
- Level up World Devourer every time it is available. It is a strong Ultimate that is useful both during ganks and team fights.
- Finally, remember to use Earthquake after hooking an enemy to inflict damage and a slow effect. Follow up with World Devourer to further hinder your enemy’s escape.
- Ganking: Look for lanes where the opposing hero has overextended or is playing very aggressively. Use the brush to hide and wait for the right moment to grab them with Devil’s Chain. Afterwards, use Earthquake and World Devourer to lock the opponent down as your allies come to finish the target off.
- One on One: Grakk shouldn’t fight enemies one on one, as Grakk does not have enough damage to finish targets off.
- Team Fights: Start the fight off by grabbing a squishy opponent if able. Immediately follow up with World Devourer to prevent their escape and trap any other enemies who had come in to assist. After the target has been dealt with, cast Earthquake whenever possible and auto attack to deal out as much damage as possible. Pull any enemies that are trying to escape back into the fight with Devil’s Chain after it comes off of cool down.
|Blood Ritual – Passive – Whenever Grakk receives damage equal to more than 10% of his current HP in a single blow, he triggers an explosion dealing 40 (+0.2 AP)ˀ (+2% of max HP) magic damage to enemies within 500 units (2 second cooldown). Grakk will also trigger an explosion 3 seconds after his death, dealing 160 (+0.8 AP) (+8% of maximum HP) magic damage to enemies within 500 units.|
- This passive makes Grakk a dangerous target to focus. Take advantage of this by going into the middle of team fights and soaking up damage in order to retaliate with area of effect magic damage.
|Earthquake – Grakk stomps, dealing 150/180/210/240/270/300 (+0.5 AP) magic damage to enemies within range and reducing their movement speed by 30% for 2 seconds. Enemies closer to Grakk will take double the damage, and their movement speed is reduced further, and are silenced for 0.5 seconds|
- Earthquake is your most consistent damage dealing ability. Make sure to use it as often as you can when you find yourself deep in a team fight or after hooking an opponent.
|Devil’s Chain – Grakk throws a hook to pull the first enemy hit towards him, dealing 625/750/875/1000/1125/1250 (+1.32 AP) magic damage.|
- Grakk’s signature ability. Get accustomed to its range and travel speed so that you can consistently hook the right targets during the course of a match.
- While primarily a way to initiate fights, Devil’s Chain can also be used to damage and disable foes in the middle of fights when available.
- Devil’s Chain can pull targets through walls and other unpassable terrain.
- It is more difficult to hit an enemy when they are surrounded by minions, Devil’s Chain pulling the first enemy hit. Try and hit an enemy standing in the open for an easier shot.
|World Devourer – After a short delay, Grakk pulls in enemies in front of him, stunning them and dealing a total of 1200/1500/1800 (+1.8 AP) magic damage during the pull. Grakk also gains a shield if the ability hits at least 1 enemy.|
- World Devourer can pull multiple enemies when cast at the right position. Take note of this during team fights so that you can disable a number of opponents.
- Combo this after hooking an enemy with Devil’s Chain to deal massive damage. Follow up with Earthquake to further inflict magic damage and slow the opposing hero or heroes near you.
How to Counter Grakk
- During the laning phase, always stay behind your minions – this will make Grakk have a hard time landing Devil’s Chain.
- If you don’t see Grakk on the battlefield, stay a safe distance away from the brush. There is a good chance that Grakk might be lurking there and waiting for a clear shot at hooking you with Devil’s Chain.
- Whenever Grakk casts World Devourer, do your best to cast your disabling abilities (preferably stuns and displacement abilities) to cancel his Ultimate. However, remember to hit him from the opposite side where he cast his Ultimate since you’ll end up being disabled if you try to stun him head-on.
Hero Item Build
|SG Recommended Build|
Mail of Pain
- Grakk can run defensive arcana to better seal his role as a tank. Indomitable, Benevolence, and Valience is the way to go to this end.
- Taking Focus can be a nice way to shorten Grakk’s cooldowns early and thereby allow for more hooks.
Tanks are the lowest of Grakk’s priorities, they able to cause havoc if pulled into your team. That said, using Earthquake on tanks in team fights can be useful, as silencing them will delay any crowd control that they have.
Grakk can lock down warriors long enough for his allies to kill them and doing so can remove a key member from the enemy team. Their melee range will make them susceptible to World Devourer as well. Mages and marksmen are better targets if available, though.
Assassins are great targets for Grakk, their removal from a fight depriving the enemy team of a lot of damage. That said, they can be difficult to catch as many are highly mobile.
Mages are great targets for Grakk to go for, their low health pools meaning they will be easy pick offs when hooked. Mages can use their range advantage to attack from behind minions though, and thereby be difficult to hit, so try to surprise them when you hook.
Marksmen should be your number one target, they squishy and the strongest when it comes to damage potential. Stop marksmen in any way possible, as your team will be at a heavy advantage once the enemy DPS has been taken out.
The main thing Grakk has to worry about, when it comes to supports, is getting his ultimate interrupted. The heroes generally have hard crowd control at their disposal and thereby can threaten Grakk’s usefulness. Make sure to save world devourer for a time when you know it cannot be interrupted.
Arena of Valor (AoV) Recommended Article List
|▼ Popular Articles|
|Beginner's Guide||Hero Tier List|
|Hero Class Guide||Armory (Item List)|
|▼ Popular Articles|
|Beginner's Guide||Hero Tier List||Hero Class Guide||Armory (Item List)|