Table of Contents
|▼ Hero Class Guides|
|List of Item Builds|
Diao Chan is a mage hero who excels at controlling enemies with her icy abilities. Diao Chan’s spells can be difficult to land, but can completely lock down enemies caught within. Her ultimate is a game changer, possesing one of the largest areas of effect in the game. Enemies caught within will have to escape quickly or else face a swift death.
- Spammable Abilities – Though harder to land, Diao Chan’s Diamond Dust ability can be stored twice before use and quickly used several times in succession as a result. Enemies will have to carefully mind themselves to avoid getting locked down.
- A Lot of Crowd Control – All of Diao Chan’s abilities have control effects. Chilling Frost slows and roots enemies while Diamond Dust stuns enemies in a small area. Blizzard also slows the movement speed of enemies caught in its effect. Chaining these together allows Diao Chan to lock down enemies for considerable periods of time.
- Difficult Skill Shots – Her abilities have short ranges and Diamond Dust has a delay before activating. A Diao Chan player will need to either read her enemies’ movements very well or very clumsy enemies to be able to consistently land her abilities.
- Squishy – Diao Chan’s magic damage is exceptional, but she is very prone to being burst down to nothing if enemies are able to approach her.
- Low Mobility – To make surviving fights even harder, Diao Chan lacks any sort of movement ability and so will have great difficulty escaping enemies.
Hero Basic Strategy
- Diao Chan can either take the middle lane or roam the map as a support. While her mobility is low, the crowd control she offers can be invaluable when ganking enemies.
- Her AoE abilities allow her to clear out minion waves very quickly.
- Should the Jungler need help in taking down the Abyssal Dragon, respond right away as she has high burst damage. She may not be able to freeze it but the damage will certainly help.
- Chilling Frost is your main damaging and harassing tool. It will make landing Diamond Dust easier and should be leveled first when looking for damage.
- While not offering as much damage as Chilling Frost, Diamond Dust gains more per level and can be a better option when wanting more control than damage.
- Given its strength, Blizzard should be leveled every time that it is an option.
- Ganking – When ganking, you can either wait for your teammates to initiate or initiate yourself with Diamond Dust while hiding in the brush. You can also use Chilling Frost first as a means to set up Diamond Dust, making it harder for the target to dodge.
- Solo Fights – Start the fight with Chilling Frost to slow the target and set up Diamond Dust. Follow up with Diamond Dust and cast a second Diamond Dust immediately after to prolong the freeze. Cast Blizzard while the target is frozen to deal large amounts of damage and finish the foe off.
- Team Fights – Stay at the back of the fight so that your allies can protect you from the enemies. Use Chilling Frost when able and try to freeze grouped enemies with Diamond Dust. Cast Blizzard after exhausting her abilities to damage all nearby enemies or force them to retreat. Diao Chan is much tankier when channeling her ultimate, so does not have to worry as much about being burst down by marksmen or assassins.
- Escaping – Diao Chan’s only option when escaping is to try to slow enemies down with Diamond Dust or Chilling Frost as she books it. This is why it is so important to maintain a safe distance from enemies during fights.
|Ice Queen – Passive – Frozen enemies take extra (+0.5 AP) magic damage.|
- Using Chilling Frost and Blizzard directly after Diamond Dust can destroy almost any enemy due to the extra damage.
- This works on minions as well as heroes, so Diao Chan can use Diamond Dust and Chilling frost to quickly clear waves.
|Chilling Frost – Diao Chan attacks with frost, dealing 400/490/580/670/760/850 (+0.75 AP) magic damage to enemies in the target area and slowing their movement speed by 50% for 2 seconds. She also places a mark on targets for 6 seconds. When marked targets are hit with Chilling Frost again, they become rooted for 1 second.|
- This ability is also good for harassing enemies during the laning phase. It’s important that you spam this ability in order to root them and force them to recall.
- Chilling Frost can also be a good setup for Diamond Dust. Either use the root or their slower movement speed to catch the enemy in Diamond Dust’s effect.
- Chilling Frost can also be used to reveal enemies in the brush. There’s a small “pop” like sound if someone has been hit.
|Diamond Dust – After a short delay, Diao Chan freezes enemies within the target area and deals 288/324/360/396/432/468 (+0.7 AP) magic damage. Frozen enemies take additional damage. This ability can be stored up to three times. If Diao Chan freezes the same target continuously within 5 seconds, the target will be frozen for 0.75 seconds.|
- Diamond Dust can be a hard ability to land. Make sure to cast it where the enemy is going rather than where they are.
- You can hit multiple enemies with this skill, although it is difficult because it only covers a small area.
- The spell has a 0.25 second delay, so you’ll have to time it when they come in. Or, unleash the spell from the brush where they can’t see you.
|Blizzard – Diaochan summons a Blizzard, dealing 350/440/530 (+0.9 AP) magic damage to enemies within target area and slowing their movement speed by 30%. She also gains 600 armor. This ability must be channeled and has a maximum duration of 5.3 seconds. Moving or using another ability after 0.6 seconds of channeling will interrupt this ability.|
- Blizzard is a channeled ability, meaning it will be canceled if Diao Chan moves or is stunned while casting. Be careful as to when to activate the ability and make sure that you are not too close to the enemy front line before casting.
- A good way to surprise your enemies is to wait for them in the brush before activating the ability. However, your character and the area of effect will be visible while you are casting.
- This ability greatly increases your armor, so you can use it in one on one situations against enemies with high physical damage and little in the way of control abilities.
- The additional 600 Armor fades after Diao Chan finishes casting her Blizzard, making her a vulnerable target.
- While the Blizzard is cancellable mid-way for a quick escape, it’s best to give her Flicker in order to move her out of harm’s way.
How to Counter Diao Chan
- Wait for her to blow her Diamond Dust Skill. Keep your movements from being too predictable so that it is difficult for Diao Chan to aim.
- Blizzard grants Diao Chan armor, but nothing by way of magic defense. Hit her with magic abilities to tear her down quickly whenever she casts the large ability.
Orb of the Magi
Holy of Holies
- Diao Chan will generally benefit most from a spread of standard mage arcana: Violate, Devour, and Hex. These will do the most to build up some additional damage while additionally providing a bit of magic life steal.
- Another option is to give her some more utility with cooldown reduction and movement speed, running Indomitable, Benevolence, and Focus in sets of ten.
Diao Chan should stay away from Tanks as much as possible, especially those with large control abilities. Tanks can easily stun and displace Diao Chan, allowing their teammates to easily finish her off.
Warriors are strong heroes who often have things like gap closers and lifesteal, which makes fighting them a pain. Diao Chan might be able to harass them during the laning phase, but expect to have a much harder time in the later stages of the game as they start to get more items and abilities. Diao Chan will need to rely on her allies to protect her from aggressive warriors.
Diao Chan will have a hard time against assassins unless she manages to catch them with her abilities. This will be a difficult feat, however, as most have ways to quickly close in on her. Cast Diamond Dust under your feet if you suspect one is about to jump you and continue to attack while they are stunned. The attack will be decisive, however, as Diao Chan is very vulnerable to their high damage attacks.
Diao Chan will need to get the jump on another mage in order to succeed in a fight. This can be difficult, as several have mobility abilities with which they can dodge Diao Chan’s magic. Most are weak, though, and will be easy prey once frozen.
Diao Chan can easily fight marksmen, they generally easier targets than mages or assassins. Use Chilled Frost to take out what mobility they have before unleashing punishment with Diamond Dust and Blizzard.
Supports are easy targets when alone but much more dangerous in team fights. Beware any with stuns or knock ups, as they will be able to cancel Blizzard by carefully timing their abilities.
Arena of Valor (AoV) Recommended Article List
|▼ Popular Articles|
|Beginner's Guide||Hero Tier List|
|Hero Class Guide||Armory (Item List)|
|▼ Popular Articles|
|Beginner's Guide||Hero Tier List||Hero Class Guide||Armory (Item List)|