Table of Contents
Updated December 21, 2017. List includes heroes from the Europe, North America, South America, and Southeast Asia (Malaysia/Philippines/Singapore) servers.
AoV Hero Tier List
Welcome to the first edition* of the Samurai Gamers Arena of Valor Hero Tier List! This list is an attempt to rank heroes based on their effectiveness in all levels of ranked play. It is based off of our opinion, with weight given to high-level players’ opinions and certain heroes’ ban, pick, and win rates in professional matches.
*We’re planning on doing this periodically. Also, there was an inferior tier list here before this, but we’re going to pretend that it never existed.
It is our belief that nearly all of the heroes in Arena of Valor feel very strong – even the heroes at the bottom of this list are capable of wreaking havoc in the right hands. Credit AoV for creating a game in which the weakest heroes don’t exactly feel weak. However, the strongest heroes in the game are simply too versatile – too much mobility, too much damage, too much utility – for the bottom-tier heroes to keep up. Being powerful in one way isn’t enough: heroes in Arena of Valor need to be universally powerful in all facets of the game to be considered top-tier. So, without further ado, let’s get to the list:
- “+” denotes a hero whose rating is highly dependent on the player’s skill – more so than your typical hero. For instance, a capable Batman can practically win a game by himself (and thus belongs in Tier 1 or S), whereas a weak Batman can completely sink a team (and would belong to Tier 3 or 4).
- “*” denotes a hero whose rating is dependent on how strong the opposition is. Well, in this case, how weak the opposition is. For example, Grakk is practically Tier 1 against opponents who do not dodge his Devil’s Chain. Against experienced opposition, however, he is mostly ineffective.
Tier S is pretty self-explanatory – these heroes are the best of the best, and can carry games by themselves. The combination of superior damage and utility for each character is what sets them apart.
All of these heroes are exceptionally flexible, capable of laning or jungling well in addition to contributing heavily to team fights. Note that Batman, Nakroth, and Raz all jump to Tier S when in very strong hands.
The heroes rated in this tier are still capable of carrying a game given the right situation, but slight limitations keep them from being in Tier 1. Wukong is a terror in the right hands, but can slip to Tier 4 if the player doesn’t know what they’re doing. Gildur has a very powerful kit, but is somewhat dependent on the enemy team not dodging his skill shots or clumping around his ultimate.
Tier 3 is where heroes start to feel a bit deficient in one way or another. For example, even though Azzen’Ka and Diao Chan have extremely potent CC abilities, you’ll have a hard time landing them on the mobile heroes in Tier 1 or S.
- Some might want Yorn in Tier 4, but very skilled Yorns can shred through the tankiest of Tanks (and even solo the Dark Slayer)
- Butterfly is a pretty polarizing character, but we feel comfortable with her here, with the caveat that her effectiveness is heavily dependent on both the player using her and the weakness of her competition
- Zanis suffers from the opposite problem from Butterfly, who needs to snowball an early lead – he has to bide his time until the late game. Players who understand this can make great use of him
- We don’t have enough information on Superman yet (though he seems to be very strong), so we’re sticking him here for now
It’s possible for a skilled player to maintain a positive win percentage in ranked play with any of these characters. That said, they just don’t stack up to the heroes above them. Mina, for instance, is only effective if the opposition doesn’t understand her kit. Valhein and Veera, despite seemingly juicy CC abilities, simply have less damage or utility than other heroes in their respective classes.
Let Us Know What You Think!
Don’t agree with our list? Let us know where you disagree in the comments below or at our Twitter or Facebook. Also, if you’d like to be a regular contributor to our list (we’re looking at you, master players), message us there as well!
Related Articles on Wiki
Heroes Stats, Guides, and Item Builds
Arena of Valor (AoV) Recommended Article List
|▼ Popular Articles|
|Beginner's Guide||Hero Tier List|
|Hero Class Guide||Armory (Item List)|
|▼ Popular Articles|
|Beginner's Guide||Hero Tier List||Hero Class Guide||Armory (Item List)|