Table of Contents
Guide on How to Play the Cindered Shadows DLC Side Story
In order to play the Cindered Shadows DLC Side Story, one must purchase Fire Emblem: Three Houses’ expansion pass and update the game.
Once the game is updated, you need to choose the “Side Story” option on the main menu. This option is placed between the “Nintendo eShop” and the “Copy” menu option.
Same with starting an actual game, you need to pick the form of the protagonist character, set the difficulty between Normal or Hard, and set the mode which is either Classic or Casual.
Game Modes and Style of Play Overview
Save File Differences
The save file system of Fire Emblem: Three Houses’ main story and the Cindered Shadows DLC side story are separate. In order to switch, push either the ZL or ZR button.
Unlike the main story, the DLC Side Story is only limited to three save files.
DLC Side Story Features
Here is a breakdown of features of the Cindered Shadows storyline:
- The story takes place in the Abyss, a town located in the underbelly of Garreg Mach Monastery.
- The residents of the Abyss are called Abyssians.
- A new fourth house called Ashen Wolves. The house is led by Aelfric
- Aelfric is also the head of Abyss.
- Four new students under the fourth house are Yuri, Balthus, Constance, and Hapi. Yuri is the Lord student of the class.
- A new class category called Special Class is added. It includes five new classes which are Trickster, Dark Flier, War Monk, War Cleric, and Valkyrie.
- Abyss Exam Pass is required to certify a character for Special Class in the main game.
- Fixed returning characters from the main game namely Byleth, Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude, Linhardt, Ashe, and Hilda.
- Each playable character has a set of interchangeable preset classes. The player is limited to those classes throughout the Cindered Shadow storyline.
- Divine Pulse usage is limited to ten for normal. Five for hard.
- The storyline takes place pre-time skip. Most likely after Chapter 4 since Byleth already acquired his hero’s relic, the Sword of Creator. Also, other students already reached their Advanced tier classes.
- The Sword of Creator’s durability is renewed at the beginning of each Cindered Shadow chapter.
- Hero’s relics of other playable characters are not accessible in the side story.
- Balthus owns a hero’s relic weapon but the durability renewal mechanic does not apply to it.
- Yuri also owns a hero’s relic but its an accessory.
- Marketplace facilities available are the Item Shop, Armory, Battalion Guild, and Blacksmith. High tier of weapons and items already accessed
- Winning battles and selling items or bullions are the only means of getting money. Spend wisely and efficiently.
- Battalions are fixed throughout the story but their endurance can still be replenished.
- No new battalions can be hired.
- Smithing ores can be obtained by winning battles. Special ores are obtained by armor breaking enemy monsters, golems, and demonic beasts.
- You can only store up to 99 pieces of ores per variant. Exceed ores are disposed of automatically so refine/repair weapons from time to time.
- Byleth cannot interact with the animals in Abyss while playing the Cindered Shadow storyline. (Main story animal interaction to be confirmed.)
- The player can custom the attire of his units by visiting his/her personal quarters in Abyss.
- New facilities and areas include the Pagan Altar, Mysterious Teacher, Wayseer, and Scrap Heap. Scrap Heap is accessible in the Side Story. While the Pagan Altar, Mysterious Teach, and the Wayseer can only function in the main game.
- Finishing at least the first chapter of Cindered Shadows will make the player access the Abyss in the main game. This includes interacting with new characters and visiting new areas.
- If you finish chapter one only of DLC Side Story, you can recruit the Ashen Wolves based on their required stat and skill level. (To be confirmed.)
- ONCE you finish the DLC Side Story, you will be able to recruit the Ashen Wolves without any restrictions pre-time skip. They also have their Abyss Exam Pass in their inventory.
- All Ashen Wolf characters can undergo free day activities such as dining, tea parties, and choir practices.
- Ashe Wolves also has support with other characters not added in the Cindered Shadows DLC side story.
- The Ashen Wolf characters also have their own post-time skip versions.
- *Rhea’s Tea Party Event is now available.
Side Story DLC Team Members
Here are the characters that will become playable in the upcoming side story:
|Name of Character||Description||Character Guides|
|Byleth||The player character. A newly-appointed professor at the academy. Has visions of a girl named Sothis who grants him a mysterious power.||Character Information|
|Aelfric||The head of the Abyss which is beneath the Garreg Mach Monastery. He sought to rebuild the hidden town despite the animosity of the Abbyssians towards the Church of Seiros.||Character Information|
|Edelgard||Head of the Black Eagles house and a bearer of the minor Crest of Seiros.||Character Information|
|Dimitri||Prince of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus and head of the Blue Lions house. Embraces the knightly virtues, though seemingly troubled by “inner darkness”.||Character Information|
|Claude||Head of the Golden Deer house from the noble line that reigns over the Leicester Alliance. Outwardly carefree but a keen individual.||Character Information|
|Yuri||Leader of the Ashen Wolves and bearer of the Major Crest of Aubin.||Character Information|
|Linhardt||The son of Count Hevring who has an extreme fascination with crests. Tends to forgo sleep due to being immersed in research.||Character Information|
|Ashe||Adopted son of Lord Lonato, the landlord of the Caspard territory in the Holy Kingdom.||Character Information|
|Hilda||The duke’s daughter who is obsessed with fashion and luxury.||Character Information|
|Constance||Daughter from the house of Nuvelle descended from Noa. Talented in magic and swordsmanship.||Character Information|
|Balthus||A noble with a strong physique who calls himself “The Almighty King of Grappling.”||Character Information|
|Hapi||A noble proficient in dark magic. She affectionately refers to Constance as “Coco.”||Character Information|
Cindered Shadows DLC Side Story Coverage
Cindered Shadows DLC Storyline Walkthroughs
|Cindered Shadows Story Walkthroughs|
|Chapter 1: The Fourth House||Chapter 2: What Lies Beneath|
|Chapter 3: The Rite of Rising||Chapter 4: Danger in the Dark|
|Chapter 5: Betrayal||Chapter 6: Return to Me|
|Chapter 7: Wolf Pack||–|
News and Updates
|▼Cindered Shadows Strategy Guides|
|Recommended Equipped Abilities||Recommended Combat Arts|
|Recommended Battalions||Recommended Starting Weapons|
|▼Cindered Shadows New Classes|
|Trickster||War Monk||War Cleric|
New Tea Party Events
|▼Cindered Shadows New Tea Parties|
|Archibishop Rhea||Yuri Leclerc||Constance von Nuvelle|
|Balthus von Albrecht||Hapi||–|
Other Beginner Guides
|Game Modes||Game Menu||Game Controls|
|Online Features||Permanent Events||What to Do First|
|Which House to Choose||-||-|
|Tutoring||Free Day Activities||Professor Levels|
|Skill System||Support System||Motivation System|
|Budding Talents||Class Change and Exams||Group Tasks|
|Battle System||Battalions||Divine Pulse|
|Saint Statues||Amiibo Gazebo||Personal Abilities|
|Dining||Cooking Together||Tea Party|
|Fishing||Gardening||Locating Lost Items|
|Choir Practice||Advice Box||Giving Gifts|
Should I beat the main story before playing the DLC?
If it’s your first play through I would so you can start a New Game Plus. But even if you’re partially through the main story, if you stop and do the side story the new characters will be recruitable to your class
This is a good option as well
Should I beat the main story before playing the DLC? Or will there be too many spoilers?
The setting of the DLC side story happens after the main story’s Chapter 4. You might not be able to understand some main story references between the playable characters coming from the main game.
However, if you aim to unlock the Ashen Wolves so that you can play FE3H completely, you can play the DLC side story first.