Fire Emblem: Three Houses’ September Update Included Maddening Difficulty, New Stat Boost Consumables, and More Auxiliary Battles
On September 10th, Nintendo released its second software update for Fire Emblem: Three Houses. The update included the addition of a new difficulty setting, new auxiliary battles, new character attire/accessories, and a series of bug fixes.
Those looking for a greater challenge in #FireEmblem: Three Houses, Maddening Mode is available now via a free software update. If you finish a game in this mode without carrying over your previous cleared save data, the title screen will slightly change. Good luck, professor! pic.twitter.com/L30WyxGc0u
— Nintendo of America (@NintendoAmerica) September 11, 2019
Maddening Difficulty Setting
The addition of the Maddening mode served as a way for Nintendo and Intelligent Systems to keep advanced players on their toes.
Based on our research, the new difficulty mode included the following features:
- More enemy units on the battlefield with starting levels and stats that are higher than in Hard Mode.
- Standard enemy units will now have skills.
- Enemy reinforcements can now move or attack in the same turn they arrive on the battlefield.
- Boss enemy units, including Death Knight, will now move on their own at the start of the battle.
Nintendo and Intelligent Systems also added that there will be a new title screen if players are able to clear the game in Maddening difficulty, not in New Game+.
New Character Attire and Accessories
For those who paid for the expansion pass, wave 2 added a new type of attire for students and a new accessory exclusively for Byleth.
The new attire is called House Loungewear. These outfits are unique per house and can be worn during monastery exploration. In addition, this attire can be worn in selected cutscenes and in certain battles.
Byleth’s new accessory is a pair of glasses that can be combined with any other attire. The glasses can be worn both in the monastery and during battle. Male Byleth has a black frame while Female Byleth has a red frame.
New Stat Boost Consumables
There were four new stat boost consumables added to Fire Emblem: Three Houses. These consumables were only accessible through the paid expansion pass.
These new DLC supplies can only be used once and can be claimed in Byleth’s personal quarters. These new supplies included the following:
- Sacred Galewind Shoes – Movement +2
- Sacred Floral Robe – HP +7
- Sacred Snowmelt Drop – Strength +3
- Sacred Moonstone – Speed +3
New Auxiliary Battles
Five new Auxiliary Battles were also added for paid the expansion pass owners and are marked with a yellow “!” icon in the battle-selection screen.
Unlike other auxiliary battles, this battle type can give a stat increasing item such as an Ailell Pomegranate. Additional gold rewards apart from Bullion are also obtainable. These auxiliary battles are the following:
- Battle at Lake Teutates
- Battle in the Forest
- Battle at Gronder Field
- Battle at the Sealed Forest
- Battle at Conand Tower
Furthermore, a new song was added called “Corridor of the Tempest.” This can be used as background music during an auxiliary battle.
Other Feature Updates
Here are the other features introduced in the latest version update:
- Increased the bonus Renown for selecting New Game+ at the start of the game to 10,000 points. Another 10,000 points are added each time a player clears a path. However, the max amount of bonus Renown a player can receive is 50,000 points.
- Added Goddess Tower to the Event Gallery in the Extras section. Players needs to use the ZL/ZR Buttons to select the Goddess Tower page, then choose a character event to replay.
- A new English voice for Male Byleth.
Below is a list of bug fixes implemented by Intelligent Systems:
- Fixed the bug that caused the game to freeze when Fortify was used while equipped with a certain skill.
- Addressed the incorrect character design in event still images.
- Fixed the bug that incorrectly displayed a Caspar line as Linhardt’s during the White Heron Cup.
- Fixed the bug that displayed a “TBD” message when mastering combat.
- Fixed the bug in the cut-in sequence for a CRITICAL attack.
- Fixed the bug that prevented Rescue magic from working properly to move an ally to a space near the user.
- Fixed the bug that accidentally let the player enter the closed-off desk corridor in the Cardinals’ Room.
- Some text has been revised.
- The gameplay has been improved by addressing a few additional bugs.